Monday, August 31, 2009

Seppuku for Pundits

Since I recently suggested that Paul Wolfowitz would committ seppuku if he had an honorable bone in his body (via Facebook), I thought I'd do some research and I found a fascinating page on the ritual of seppuku.

If he isn't going to kill himself, he should at least have the decency to shut the fuck up and not go around writing whiny articles suggesting Obama follow his example of ruining our national honor in the pursuit of some ridiculous neoconservative vision of a democratic middle east.

Of course, these four writers make the case in a much more reasonable way.

You'll have to forgive me that I'm still bitter over the catastrophe that Iraq has become. And not just for the US. We've lost many good men and women and wasted several trillion dollars in Iraq, but this pales next to the tragedy inflicted on the hundreds of thousands of Iraqis who have lost everything.

Even assuming that Wolfowitz's intentions were genuinely benevolent, that is not enough. At the end of the day, his policies were a humanitarian and political disaster and consequences matter when you hold yourself out as a pundit and a policy wonk.

No comments: