Friday, May 01, 2009

Safety Propositions: safe following distances

Blogging has been light of late... what can I say? I'm busy getting stuff done! I'm running a library RA pool this summer, which is going to be great fun.

But I did want to share that if I see a fire diamond symbol or NFPA 704 |Wikipedia| placard on a vehicle, I stay as far away as possible. I think 10 car lengths away is a minimum following (or leading) distance, especially when the flammability and reactivity are numbers are high. If you must pass, be quick about it, don't hang out next to the vehicle in heavy traffic.

A cop once suggested to me that I always try to keep one car length for every 10 mph of speed between me and a vehicle in the same lane as me while driving. I try to practice that, but it's impossible in places like LA.

I stay especially far away from big vehicles with NFPA 704 placards. Tanker trucks and round railroad cars often have these symbols. That's one thing I've taken away from my CERT training...

No comments: