Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Carbon Monoxide Poisonings tied to Video Games during disasters

The Science Blog reports a study by Dr. Caroline Fife |LinkedIn| which found 9 children were killed by carbon monoxide during Hurricane Ike, all of the children were running generators to power video game consoles.

Of the 37 individuals treated for carbon monoxide poisoning after the storm, 20 were under the age of 20. In nine of those cases, researchers were able to speak with families to determine why a generator was being used. In 75 percent of those cases, the generator was used to run video games.


Sounds like natural selection in action to me.

The Consumerist has some safety tips for running a generator safely.

No comments: