Friday, February 13, 2009

It Is What It Is

In conversations about politics recently, some of my friends have self-identified as pragmatists and incrementalists. Other of my friends are definitely idealists, even if they don't self-identify that way.

If forced to self-identify my political views I typically claim to be a cynic, but that's a bit of a cop-out.

After reflecting upon my political views, they probably are a bit schizophrenic. On the one hand, I spend time thinking about how society should be organized to fit my ideal of rationality and then bitch copiously about just how irrational the world is.

But the cynic in me realizes that humanity is deeply flawed and I love no lobby, no fortune, no army. So what does it matter what I think is the rational way to organize society?

At least they let me vote so that I have the illusion of making a difference.

No comments: