Monday, December 08, 2008

Blow-Out Kits: Trauma & Gunshot Treatment

Within the last year I read an article in Combat Handguns on Blow Out Kits (BOK). I thought I'd blogged about them, but I cannot find the post, so maybe I dreamed it.

Blow out kits are first aid kits for dealing with traumatic, life-threatening bleeding. You hope you never need this, but if you do, a standard first aid kit is fairly worthless.

The essentials of a BOK according to the article's sidebar are:

1 pair Rubber Gloves
1 Crinkle gauze
2 Emergency bandages, 4 by 4 inches
1 10 by 30 trauma bandage, aka Israeli dressing
1 Roll cloth tape
1 Sling or cravat
2 3 inch by 9 inch petrolatum gauze bandages (for sucking chest wounds)
1 Tourniquet (author prefers the NATO tourniquet)

I’ve added a magic marker to mine (for writing on a victim when a tourniquet was applied).

Borelli Consulting has a review of some new products for stopping arterial bleeding here.

ProStores will sell you a pre-made BOK and a pouch for it.

You can buy also buy trauma bandages from Armed Forces Merchandise Outlet.

No comments: