Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veteran's Day in Time of War

George Orwell observed that, "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

As most of my reader's already know, my father was in the US Army for over 20 years and that has strongly colored my view of the world. I don't believe that might make right, more often than not the reverse is true.

But I think intellectuals neglect the threat of force at their peril. Cruelty is as common among young children as lying and much of human history has been written in blood. Despite its many faults, the US is a great nation and our military (and law enforcement) do a great service by defending us from those who would prey upon the weak or hollow our our government for their own nefarious ends.

There are worse things than death. Live free or die.

No comments: