Thursday, August 21, 2008

Safety Propositions: Don't Trifle with Ambien

Sarah takes Ambien for sleep and since my insomnia is getting worse, I decided to try half of one of her pills. It eventually did make me pass-out but Sarah woke me up in the middle of the night because the dog was barking outside. Apparently she'd gotten away while I was in my Ambien daze and I never even noticed.

The next morning I couldn't find my keys and what's more, I couldn't remember what I'd been wearing the day before to check my pants for my keys. I knew Ambien affected memory formation based on Sarah's experiences, but that freaked me out.

So, I'm staying away from the Ambien and blogging late at night instead when I cannot sleep.

2 comments:

Joe6paq said...

A mutual friend of ours uses Ambien as well. I happened to be visiting one night while it took effect, and I swear I thought I was witnessing someone having a stroke. The body was still awake, but the cognitive functions were turned off. I will take the miserable haze of insomnia over that.

But this topic is a pet peeve of mine. I know lots of people with insomnia, and it's miserable and I understand that. But the insomniacs I know generally drink a lot of caffeine and alcohol, don't get regular exercise, don't go to bed at a consistent time, and generally don't make any of the behavioral changes that "improve patient outcomes".

It's wonderful that there is effective medication, I just think it is best to treat it as, if not a last resort, one piece of a treatment plan.

dark_one said...

My name is Carrie James and i would like to show you my personal experience with Ambien.

I have taken for 30 days. I am 23 years old. First I took it to help me fall asleep. After a couple of days I noticed that it made me feel really good, so I would take it just to feel the high that it gave me. I would had no memory of what I did the night before. Every night I did really weird things like send out strange emails, take weird pictures, and I fear that I did things that I still don't know about. I would also hallucinate. I would just spend a lot of time staring at things watching them move, like the wall or notes on sheet music. I was way too distracted to go to bed. It made me tired, but I didn't want to go to bed. I stopped taking it because I don't want to get involved with something like that. I think about it all the time and I have cravings for it, but I just don't think I need anymore problems.

Side Effects :
Hallucinations, feeling of being high, and no memory of things I did the night before.

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Carrie James

Ambien Side Effects