Friday, June 20, 2008

Safety Propositions: Mugger Wallet

Since I'm in Baltimore today, I re-instated an old practice: the mugger wallet.

When I travel to cities that have high rates of crime, I carry two wallets. The one in my front pocket has all of my ID and most of my cash. The one in my back pocket has a canceled credit card, $40 in small bills and random wallet stuff like a library card, other people's business cards, et cetera.

I've only been mugged once (it was in DC) and I'm pretty reticent to give up my wallet even though I know I should just hand it over, but I'm really sizing the mugger up trying to decide if I can kick the living shit out of him. But that's just me being irrational and fighty.

The mugger wallet is a self-preservation mechanism for me because I know I will give it up without feeling any remorse.

That being said, it's also important not to go any place with a criminal. Never let them transport you from crime scene A to crime scene B. They can have your wallet and keys... but don't let them take you any place. If they carjack you, crash the car, don't let them transport you.

I can almost guarantee that crime scene B will be remote or hidden. If they're going to rape/torture/shoot you... they've already decided that. They are less likely to do that to you at crime scene A, and if they do... at least you've a decent chance of getting medical help.

3 comments:

Mun Mun said...

Just out of curiosity, what were the circumstances surrounding your mugging? I've never been mugged. Was it the middle of the night on a deserted street or anything?

dr said...

A money clip should be urban standard issue. Keep cab fare, ID, and a credit card in an ID case (the kind you might have for an employee ID or bus pass). Give up the clip!

Neal R. Axton (USA) said...

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Your suggestion is imminently reasonable, DR. I'll keep that in mind.

Mun, I was mugged in broad daylight near a metro station in SE DC. I had never been to SE DC before and the guy lured me to a semi-private location by asking if I needed directions and then saying "Right this way..." as he led me around a corner.

Around the corner he spun and threatened me. He didn't actually injure me, I gave him my cash and walked away unscathed, for which I'm very grateful.

That's actually when I started carrying pepper spray on a regular basis.