Wednesday, December 05, 2007

In case of gunfire...

Sarah and I were talking about the Omaha mall shooting today and Sarah asked me what I'd do if we were at the Mall of America and there was a shooting.

Without taking a breath, I told her that I'd push her to the ground, pull out my pepper spray, locate the sound of the gunfire and then move to nearby cover (not just concealment, cover is something bullet-proof).

If the shooter came nearby I'd attempt to pepper spray him. I'd probably die, but the shooter would have difficulty killing anyone else after being blinded by my pepper spray.

Sarah was surprised by my response and a bit shocked that I'd thought this through already.

I had assumed everyone gamed these situations out in their head. Public shootings happen almost every week in this country, it's good to have a plan... it at least gives you a base to improvise upon during a crisis.

Do you have a plan?

No comments: