Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Favorite Books: Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed...

The always engaging Danah Boyd has put together a web page of her favorite books.



It's an interesting list, but the title that really caught my eye was
Generation Me: Why Today's Young Americans Are More Confident, Assertive, Entitled--and More Miserable Than Ever Before
|Amazon| Worldcat|

The author provides a brief overview at MS-NBC.

[For today's] young people... The individual has always come first, and feeling good about yourself has always been a primary virtue. Generation Me's expectations are highly optimistic: they expect to go to college, to make lots of money, and perhaps even to be famous.

Yet this generation enters a world in which college admissions are increasingly competitive, good jobs are hard to find and harder to keep, and basic necessities like housing and health care have skyrocketed in price.

This is a time of soaring expectations and crushing realities.
Joan Chiaramonte, head of the Roper Youth Report, says that for young people "the gap between what they have and what they want has never been greater." If you would like to start an argument, claim that young people today have it (a) easy, or (b) tough. Be forewarned: you might need referees before it's all over. |Link|
I'll have to check that out when I get down with my current book.

Right now I'm reading Best Practices for Legal Education. |Worldcat| It's a damning indictment of the current system of legal education... but that's probably not much of a surprise to anyone who's been to law school in the last half century.

A couple of years ago I was asked to list my favorite books which I collected here, it's still a pretty good snapshot of my favorite books.

I haven't read the Combat Leader's Field Guide as one of the commenters to that post suggested, but I did read the Combat Infantryman's Guide when I was twelve. As a kid, I read everything I could lay my hands on, and my father had a lot of field manuals laying around.

For my CERT class this summer we had a class on Weapons of Mass Destruction, but I was already familiar with many of the topics from when I was 15 years old and and I read the Army field manual on Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical warfare, but it's always good to brush up on your decontamination protocols....

Always remember to block off the sewer system before you start decontamination lest you poison your local waterways during the decontamination process.

No comments: