Thursday, February 01, 2007

Read. Write. Revolt.

The Bellman pointed me to Molly Ivin's last column. |Wikipedia| I learned that I'd been totally mistaken in something I'd believed.

[L]et's keep in mind that when the Army arrived in Baghdad, we, the television viewers, watched footage of a bunch of enraged and joyous Iraqis pulling down the statue of Saddam Hussein, their repulsive dictator, in Firdos Square. Only one thing was wrong: The event was staged, instigated by a Marine colonel and a psychological operations unit that made it appear spontaneous.

When we later saw the whole square where the statue was located, only 30 to 40 people were there (U.S. soldiers, press and some Iraqis -- and one of several U.S. tanks present pulled the statue down with a cable). We, the television viewers, saw the square being presented as though the people of Iraq had gone into a frenzy, mobbed the square and spontaneously pulled down the statue.|Link|
Obviously I'm not cynical enough, I need to get more practice.

No comments: