Sunday, December 03, 2006

Far too clever by half

After getting lost in virtual worlds this weekend, I was checking out the news to see what I'd missed and I was reading about former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld's leaked White House memo. I love the Guardian's headline: Rumsfeld left secret 'cut and run' memo.

At this time, the rest of the Guardian's article is lost somewhere in hyperspace, but you can see the NY Times' coverage here (sub'n req'd), the memo itself, or the BBC's coverage here.

Professor Juan Cole's take on Rumsfeld's memo is so hilarious that I think I'll go cry myself to sleep.

Rumsfeld spends more time plotting out how to manipulate the American public than how to win the war. Everything is about spin, about giving the image of progress even in the face of a rapid downward spiral into the abyss....

There is nothing in the memo about effectively stopping the daily sectarian massacre in Iraq. Rumsfeld does not even appear to think there is a problem here. He doesn't see the basis on which the fabric of Iraq is coming apart. |Informed Comment|
I don't think anyone in this administration cares one whit about the suffering of Iraqis. I think there's a definite deficiency of compassion in this administration.

While it is important that our leaders be pragmatic, I don't think they should be without compassion. At the very least, they should appear to have compassion, but these jokers aren't fooling anybody.

No comments: