Saturday, November 18, 2006

Nothing but tail

So today I took Halle for a two hour walk in a medium sized state park near my house called Crosby Farm Park. I filled two trash bags with garbage during our walk and at one point we'd climbed about 75-100 meters up a hill in my quest to clean the place up.

I decided to let Halle off the leash figuring she could make her way down more safely without it. That was a mistake. She bounded down the hill in about two seconds and then proceeded to sprint away up the trail. I called after her to no avail so I ran down the hill as fast as I dared and gave chase. While I am fairly quick, trying to catch a 25 pound dog that has a full minute headstart is a losing proposition. I kept her in sight for about 2/10 of a mile and then I saw her look back to see if I was still following.
Then she took off and I lost sight of her. Half a mile later I was totally out of gas and had slowed to a walk. And there was Halle, nonchalantly sniffing around a cave as if we did this every day.

I was happy that she hadn't gotten lost or escaped, but I was winded. I'm starting to a get a bit sore now after my morning run.

1 comment:

Mun Mun said...

I'm glad you retrieved her! That dog is too cute to lose.