Sunday, November 12, 2006

Minnesota Rollergirls

Last night my friend Aldous and I went to see the Minnesota Rollergirls in an interstate bout with the Columbus, Ohio team. The Minnesota team beat them like a borrowed mule, by around 60 points. Lizze the Axe had her way with the Ohio team and seemingly scored at will. See also the Minnesota Rollergirls on MySpace.

By the end the match Minnesota team wasn't even trying to score points. Rather their jammers were focused solely on knocking the stuffing out of the other team's jammers. Bellyflopping onto concrete has gotta hurt. I am always impressed by the toughness of roller derby athletes.

The crowd was much more mainstream than I'd anticipated. The were very few obvious hipsters or punks, although there were a number of tattoos, piercings, and mohawks on display. This was a St. Paul match and was pretty well attended. I wonder if the Minneapolis matches attract a more deviant crowd.

The half time show was by a band called AlpenRose who performed polka music. I've never polka'd before, but it seemed pretty easy even for someone like me with two left feet. The audience got out and danced and everyone seemed to have a good time.

During half time we went outside into a blustery Minnesota night so Aldous could pollute the air and we met one of the Ohio players, Red-Headed Slut, who helped us discern the scoring system for roller derby. See also Ohio Rollergirls on MySpace.

I think Aldous and I will be attending more matches in the future. This was the first game of the season, so it's a nice excuse to get out of the house during the winter.

2 comments:

DR said...

Flat or banked?

Safety Neal said...

It's a flat track league.