Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Gland Power

During my downtime while Sarah's been in the hospital I've been reading a book by Bruce Sterling titled Holy Fire that's partially about his vision of the medical-industrial complex at the end of this century. My favorite line from the book so far is:
The brain is a gland, not a computer.
That really helps explain why the world is such an irrational place, doesn't it? The Stoics believed that emotion could act as false reason and were distrustful of emotion. I think emotion certainly has a place in our lives and in our public policy. Emotion helps us decide what our public policies goals should be and what methods are unacceptable in achieving those goals.

However, I often feel that emotion has crowded out all reason on certain hot button topics. A few that come to mind are abortion, the "war" on drugs, the "war" on terror, eugenics, euthanasia, and gun control.

No comments: