Monday, July 31, 2006

The Unveiling of an Anti-Semite

Mel Gibson's recent DUI arrest is unfortunate, I'm glad that he's admitting he has trouble with alcohol. He's not alone, millions of Americans have a destructive relationship with firewater.

The anti-semitic comments by Gibson are sad, but I took some hope from them. I had entertained the notion that Gibson might run for president. He has dual citizenship and would be eligible, unlike Arnold Scharzenegger.

After Gibson made The Patriot, I was a bit concerned about him seeking political office. I didn't care for The Patriot, but I thought Mel did a great in We Were Soldiers.

But I think the DUI combined with the anti-semitic slurs will make a presidential bid unlikely. I think Gibson would be pretty conservative as a politician and (of course) totally unqualified for the role.

On the other hand, Dubya didn't have any real qualifications either, and look at how splendidly his presidency of turning out.

No comments: