Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The Cassandra Syndrome

While in practice I'm pretty cheerful and optimistic, I consider myself a cynic. I think we all have to work hard to make the world a better place, and there's nothing for it but the doing.

Progress is not inevitable. I fear that we could quite easily slip back into a new Dark Ages. We must prevent that. I am concerned about recent trends such as global warming, species extinction, over-reliance on petrochemicals and computer technology, Bush's doctrine of pre-emptive nuclear strikes, the rise of fundamentalism (Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist...ok, maybe not Buddhist), Bush's endorsement of torture and disappearing of political enemies...

If you believe the polls, almost 3 out of 4 Americans feel our country is moving the wrong direction.

I live an incredibly lucky life and I hope we can secure an equal or better quality of life for future generations. But I am not optimistic that those of us in the US will change our wasteful, polluting ways before its too late. And I fear that India and China will embrace our wasteful, polluting ways and push global civilization over the brink.

I hope I'm wrong, truly I do. But I'm not optimistic.

1 comment:

trp0 said...

heh. Is there even such a thing as Buddhist terrorists? OOps....look at me being all american and shit and assuming that "terrorism" is synonymous with "fundamentalism" :)