Saturday, January 07, 2006

The End of Faith


Autumn sky
Originally uploaded by ciemor.
I was watching BookTV on C-Span tonight and saw a presentation by Sam Harris about his first book, The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason. Harris proposes that non-believers must confront the irrationality of religion squarely by challenging the ridiculousness of these belief systems. Wikipedia already has an entry discussing Harris and his book's premise.

I assumed Harris was a philosopher or professor of religious studies, but he's actually a neuroscientist. He made some interesting comments about the role of meditation for self-examination and for allowing us to deal with facts of life (such as death) in a reasonable manner, rather than relying on the crutch of a fairy-tale afterlife.

I just ordered the book, I'll let you know what I think after I've read it.

No comments: