Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Trial by Frostbite

It was 20 degrees when I left the house this morning, but I've actually been wearing less clothing for my bike rides. Once I start biking I generate so much heat that a heavy coat is just too much.

As long as your face, hands, and feet are well insulated, you don't really need to wear much on your torso and legs.

I did take a spill on my bike before I'd made it 100 feet from my house. Just nature's way of reminding me that you cannot make wide, lazy turns on ice...not even with fat, knobby tires.

After that wake-up call, the rest of the trip was uneventful.

I met a first year law student (or 1L)the other day named Shelby who has been biking to work and school year-round in St. Paul and it was good to discuss the issues with him. He told me how several years ago the Twin Cities received around 8 inches of snow in a day and he was still able to bike. Actually, he was passing cars the whole time b/c they were unable to plow through all of that snow.

His heart rate was redlined and it took him 3 times as long to get home, but he made it.

No comments: