Saturday, September 17, 2005

Neal the Vampire Killer

While I prefer a shotgun for killing zombies, vampires are an entirely different matter. Vampires are much smarter than zombies. They tend to be better equipped, better trained and better led.

Shotguns are great for close-in work and pistols are passable. But when you are engaging highly motivated opponents with ranged weapons, I prefer a carbine or rifle.

In carbines, I like a 9mm carbine with a pistol (as backup) in the same caliber. While there are many good combinations in this caliber, I carry an H&K MP-5 and a Sig 226 when I hunt vampires.

The MP-5 is a good intermediate weapon especially for urban hunts. But if the coven I'm hunting has been known to wear body armor, I generally carry a lightweight rifle in 5.56mm. A flat-top AR-15 clone or an Armalite 180-B work well. I haven't had a chance to try the Austrian Steyr or the French FAMAS, but they sound decent.

The best way to employee the 5.56mm against vampires is to use the 4x1 method. Four shots to the body and one to the head. Using silver bullets, it's possible to break the spine. If you break a vampire's spine, he is no longer an immediate threat. Or she. Nasty pieces of work, vampires are.

With the 9mm, it's much harder to break the spine, so I usually just settle for a two in the body and two in the head. If you shoot out both of their eyes it really reduces their combat effectiveness.

Since vampire hunts are always at night, infra-red is a must. I generally mount an infra-red scope on my carbine/rifle with tritium backup sights. A white light source with an infra-red filter works well in most conditions. The new generation of pressure-sensitive switches make rifle-mounted lighting systems quite handy. Remember, always positively identify your target before killing it.

Keep your powder dry and your bags packed.

No comments: