Monday, March 21, 2005

Safety Neal's Living Will from 2005

Living Will....Euthanasia Directive

Wikipedia has a page on living wills. They link to the U.S. Living Will Registry. The Wikipedia entry makes the point that living will is a biased term. In the Netherlands they call it a Euthanasia Directive.

I gave my parents copies of an advanced health care directive this summer. My parents are Christians and far more conservative than I am and I hope they wouldn't try to keep me alive long after my spirit had died, but you never know for sure.

So let this blog serve as notice to the world that I do not want to be kept alive
by means of life support. I do not want to live as anything other than a highly-functioning, fully contributing member of society.

POWER OF ATTORNEY FOR HEALTH CARE
Pursuant to California Probate Code sections 4701 et seq.

1. RECITALS: I, Neal R. Axton, being of sound mind and free from duress, on this 21st day of March, 2005 do hereby grant a power of attorney for health care decisions to the following agents and make explicit my desire for my life not to be extended unreasonably through life support technology.

2. DESIGNATION OF AGENT: I designate the following individual as my agent to make health care decisions for me:

Sarah Deer, my wife, and a member of the Kansas bar.

If I revoke my agent's authority or if my agent is not willing, able, or reasonably available to make a health care decision for me, I designate as my first alternate agent:

Christopher Roderick Coons, a close personal friend, and a member of the Kansas bar.

If I revoke the authority of my agent and first alternate agent or if neither is willing, able, or reasonably available to make a health care decision for me, I designate as my second alternate agent:

Mark Ray, a close personal friend, and a member of the Texas bar.

3. AGENT'S AUTHORITY: My agent is authorized to make all health care decisions for me, including decisions to provide, withhold, or withdraw artificial nutrition and hydration and all other forms of health care to keep me alive.

4. WHEN AGENT'S AUTHORITY BECOMES EFFECTIVE: My agent's authority becomes effective when my primary physician determines that I am unable to make my own health care decisions. My current primary care physician is Dr. Joseph DeFoto.

If I do not have a primary care physician at the time of my death, then my agent's authority shall become effective when two out of three physicians surveyed determine that I am unable to make my own health care decision.

5. AGENT'S OBLIGATION: My agent shall make health care decisions for me in accordance with this power of attorney for health care and my other wishes to the extent known to my agent. To the extent my wishes are unknown, my agent shall make health care decisions for me in accordance with what my agent, in his or her sole discretion, determines to be in my best interest. In determining my best interest, my agent shall consider my personal values to the extent known to my agent.

6. AGENT'S POSTDEATH AUTHORITY: My agent is authorized to make anatomical gifts, authorize an autopsy, and direct disposition of my remains.

7. NOMINATION OF CONSERVATOR: If a conservator of my person needs to be appointed for me by a court, I nominate the agent designated in this form. If that agent is not willing, able, or reasonably available to act as conservator, I nominate the alternate agents whom I have named, in the order designated.

8. END-OF-LIFE DECISION NOT TO PROLONG MY LIFE: I direct that my health care providers and others involved in my care provide, withhold, or withdraw treatment in accordance with my choice not to prolong my life. I do not want my life to be prolonged if (a) I have an incurable and irreversible condition that will result in my death within a relatively short time, (b) I become unconscious and, to a reasonable degree of medical certainty, I will not regain consciousness, or (c) the likely risks and burdens of treatment would outweigh the expected benefits.

9. RELIEF FROM PAIN: I direct that treatment for alleviation of pain or discomfort be provided at all times, even if it hastens my death.

10. DONATION OF ORGANS AT DEATH: Upon my death, I give any needed organs, tissues, or parts.

11. My gift is for any and all of the following purposes: Transplant, Therapy, Research, and/or Education. Note: This living will was superseded by the Five Wishes Declaration executed by Neal R. Axton on April 16, 2012.

No comments: