Friday, February 25, 2005

Optimism and the Solitary Blogger...

My brother called me today. He told me to be optimistic three times in a twenty minute period. He doesn't visit the Fireside anymore as I depress him.

At least he still talks to me on the phone.

I wish I were optimistic. But I look around me and I see a culture that is about to drive off a cliff. I see a country at war, alienating its allies, living like the oil will never run out. Well, guess what? There's going to be one hell of a hangover after this party is over.

We are a society seduced be pleasure. There are so many distractions, so many diversions, so much fun, that very few people can see past the commercials. And among the ones who see the writing on the wall, there is nothing approaching a consensus about what to do.

George Bush's refusal to acknowledge climate change is like Nero fiddling while Rome burns.

I look around me and I see clusterfuck nation.

What do you see?

No comments: