Monday, February 14, 2005

A Jaundiced Eye: Fox News and Al-Jazeera, who is more biased?

Dennis Ross, a Fox commentator, discusses Al-Jazeera: The Inside Story of the Arab News Channel That Is Challenging the West by Hugh Miles in the Fort Wayne Journal Gazette.

Miles claims that Al-Jazeera is less biased than mainstream American news media.

I think Ross has some interesting counterpoints. But he totally ignores the fact that Fox News is the most biased network on Earth.

If you haven't seen Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism yet, let me know and I'll lend you my copy. Rupert Murdoch is a clever son-of-a-bitch. As I recently said in another context, I don't shoot a man for being incompetent in the Devil's work, I shoot him for being competent in the Devil's work.

And Rupert Murdoch ignited a race to the bottom in the American media. The American news media has gone from self-absorbed fluff to a pile of worthless, jingoistic crap in my humble opinion.

I don't believe in real objectivity, I'm a standpoint epistemologist, but I do think that you can at least seek out other viewpoints and try to appreciate them.

No comments: