Saturday, December 25, 2004

GTA killed my PS2

I've had my Playstation2 (PS2) for about 2 years and it has served me well. But over the past couple of days I've been playing a lot of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (GTA:SA) and my PS2 has started failing to read the disc. I popped in another disc and it couldn't read it either, so I think it's my machine and not the disc.

Of course, GTA gets a lot of bad press for being sexist, violent, and criminal. Which is all true. But it's also a lot of fun. But so are the movies the Godfather, Scarface, and Pulp Fiction, which have inspired the GTA series.

I don't think children should be watching those movies or playing GTA.

I admit to having bad thoughts. I sometimes want to beat people down for being morons. When I see people making U-turns on busy, four lane roads while talking on their cell phones...I imagine pulling them out of the their cars and beating them with a baseball bat, like I would do in GTA.

But I have excellent impulse control. Should people with poor impulse control play GTA? Probably not. But then, should they also be allowed to watch the King of New York or Scarface? Certainly we shouldn't let them near chainsaws....

I've been studying a lot of criminology and I think that the causes of crime are complex and that blaming video games is a really simplistic solution.

Our entire culture is violent and the Brit's who write the GTA stuff are actually making total fun of Americans. And laughing all the way to the bank.

No comments: