Friday, April 09, 2004

How do Iraqis view the US occupation?

I was over at Al-Jazeera reading what they have to say about the Iraq occupation. I don't believe everything I read, but I think it's a good exercise to see how the Arab media is reporting on the war. I'm not sure I believe in objectivity. Everyone has their own lens they see the world through.

Selected quote from an article by May Ying Welsh:

Ghafil no longer dreams of marrying, as the family can not afford it. "I had many plans but now I've dropped them," he says. Now, his focus is completely on the removal of the occupation.

"The Shia and Sunnis have to unify their resistance more; a joint plan is coming," he says. "When that happens depends on the Americans. If they keep using more and more force against the people, they will push this to happen."

As tanks rumble by in the streets outside, Ghafil and his mother agree that peaceful demonstrations against the occupation are useless. "The US forces just shoot at them," says Ghafil.

No comments: