Saturday, March 06, 2004

Powered Exoskeletons

I think I figured out why the military cannot afford to give our soldiers in Iraq modern bulletproof vests. The reason is that DARPA spends so much money on basic research.

I was browsing over at Fark when I saw this news item about powered exoskeletons being created at Berkeley.

Exoskeletons rock. I've wanted one ever since I read Heinlein's Starship Troopers.

Here's another item about DARPA funding fusion research. DARPA is funding basic research. Who else is funding this type of basic research? OK, the National Science Foundation does quite a bit of that. But not Big Energy. Cheap fusion is the last thing Big Energy wants to see.

Since we're on the topic of panaceas for civilization's ills, here's an article about how industrial hemp works as an all-natural sewage treatment plant. Besides hemps other 12,000 beneficial uses.

No comments: