Saturday, March 13, 2004

Occupational Safety and Mexican Laborers in America

My friend Mun-Mun mentioned to me that she hadn't seen much safety in the fireside chat.

Actually, I think safety is an illusion. You can manage risk and you can mitigate it.

But you can never eliminate it. Some people find the illusion of safety comforting.

Who am I to take their illusions away from them? We must all find the level of risk/reward that we feel is sustainable. Most people don't want safety advice, so I don't usually bother to give it.

I do spend a lot of time thinking about things that never come to pass. But life is full of new and interesting events. If something unexpected happens, I just try to deal with it in a calm, methodical manner. I figure staying calm is the best place to start in an any situation.

I was reading about occupational safety today in the Guardian. According to this article, Mexican workers are much more likely to die in the workplace than workers born in the US.

Selected Quote
Mexican death rates are rising even as the U.S. workplace grows safer overall. In the mid-1990s, Mexicans were about 30 percent more likely to die than native-born workers; now they are about 80 percent more likely.

Deaths among Mexicans in the United States increased faster than their population. As the number of Mexican workers grew by about half, from 4 million to 6 million, the number of deaths rose by about two-thirds, from 241 to 387. Deaths peaked at 420 in 2001.

No comments: