Tuesday, February 17, 2004

My friend Jason is America's best writer. He recently hosted a discussion of a website called Life After the Oil Crash. The tone of Life After the Oil Crash does strike me as a bit defeatist and tinged with hysteria. Nevertheless, it reminds readers that our supply of oil is finite.

I think the fact that our oil supply is finite is an excellent reason for the US to invest in alternative energy supplies such as solar power, wind power, geothermal power, tidal power, et cetera. The Bush Administration gives lip service to increasing energy independence, but their policies strike me as doing just the opposite in reality.

The Manchester Guardian also recently ran an article on how population growth may soon outpace our supply of potable water.

I am not a rabid environmentalist by any means. But I think we (meaning the world community) should carefully consider the dramatic impact the human race is having on the ecology of the Earth and ways to decrease our "footprint".

No comments: