Tuesday, February 24, 2004

It looks as if gay marriage is going to be an election year issue. Jasonblog has a post today about how even gay republicans are upset about Bush's plans for a constitutional amendment.

I think it is morally wrong and legally indefensible to deny gays the right to marry. Actually, I wrote a 50 page paper for my constitutional law class with that exact thesis. The right to marry is a fundamental right and the bedrock of civilization according to the US Supreme Court's past opinions. Of course, it's only a fundamental right if you're heterosexual in today's America. I also wrote a resolution for Student Congress when I was in high school allowing gays to marry and to adopt children. So this is an issue I have given considerable thought over the years.

I live near West Hollywood (WeHo), but I am not gay. Lord knows I have enough opportunity. Several times in the past couple of years men have hit on me. I just politely turn them down. I am a happily married man. My wife, Sarah, is my best friend. I feel that getting married was the best decision I ever made. And why should we, as a society, deny the right to marry to any two people who love each other and want to make their commitment manifest?

In some ways I find it liberating to live among the gay men of WeHo. My masculinity is no longer an issue for me. I am very comfortable with my sense of masculinity and who I am. I no longer believe that gender is binary. Rather, I think gender is a continuum and people range all over the continuum, regardless of their plumbing.

In keeping with our theme of gender and government, but turning abroad, the Manchester Guardian has an article about straight men in Italy pretending to be gay to get out of mandatory military service. The article claims that most Italian gays and lesbians conceal their orientation to be allowed to serve their country, while these straight men shirk their duty by pretending to be gay.

I think this shows that honorable men and women come in all sorts of shapes, sizes, and orientations.

No comments: